So, my sewing machine gave up the ghost on the first day of a week-long holiday. I was not surprised but neither was I impressed. I had been looking forward to the break because I had a couple of projects I wanted to complete – which, let’s face it, probably would not have happened even if the machine had been in perfect working order. I seem to love starting but am not so hot about finishing these things.
Anyway, because I couldn’t do anything else, I began designing and cutting for the next quilt. I had in mind very long, very narrow strips, long enough to be the width of the quilt. I then figured out how to cut the fat quarters so that every bit of them was used. Eventually I worked this out based on 1.5 inch width of each strip to cut three 15.5, three 13.5, three 11.5, three 9.5, six 7.5, six 5.5, three 3.5 and six 1.5 strips from each fat quarter. It was a mind-numbing activity, brilliant for listening to Radio National’s Big Ideas programs.
I then put one each of all the lengths together except 7.5, 5.5 and 1.5. These lengths I put two of into the long strip. That’s a 64 inch strip (not counting seam allowances). And I made 72 strips. That took ages. And ages. Anyway, once grouped, I hung them over the rail on my work table and this is what they look like:
The colours are a bit weird – yellows, blacks, purples and dark teal colour. I have made the long strips so that the lighter fabrics are on the outside and the darker ones in the middle of the quilt. I think, think mind you, it is going to be ok.
Happy news: I get a new lovely Janome sewing machine next week! I don’t think I’ll miss my little Ikea workhorse that I really did run into the ground!
This weekend I am in Shanghai for a volleyball tournament. I’m itching to get back to it!